Ford CEO Alan Mulally will use a keynote address at the CeBIT high-tech trade fair next month to further highlight the US automaker’s in-car infotainment solutions.
Ford said Mulally, who spoke at the Consumer Electronics Fair (CES) in Las Vegas last month, will discuss the European rollout of the company’s SYNC and MyFordTouch driver connect technology. Together, these products allow a driver to control his vehicle's major functions through spoken commands.
The US automaker wants to position itself as a leader in the field of in-car communications technology and interactive solutions. It also wants to forge closer ties between the automotive and consumer-entertainment industries.
Ford’s SYNC has been installed in more than 3 million vehicles in North America. The connectivity solution was developed with the help of Microsoft. MyFordTouch is Ford’s integrated touchscreen interface.
Adapted for European markets, the system can synchronize with media and telecommunications devices and offers hands-free voice control of external business and personal communication or entertainment tools.
Ford said Mulally’s presence both at the CES and at CeBIT, which takes place in Hanover, Germany in early March, underscores the company’s desire to bring its in-car infotainment technology directly to a technology-focused audience. Mulally’s keynote will be on March 1.
The Ford CEO will also be present through a video link at the Geneva auto show, whose first press day is on March 1.
The US carmaker will show a new car in Geneva and will give its Focus Electric a European premier after first revealing the plug-in electric vehicle at the CES.
In addition, the company will unveil the C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, the first of two electrified models based on the C-MAX five-passenger multi-activity vehicle.