GM's Barra will join a business panel that will advise Donald Trump once he takes office (Photo: GM)
US President-elect Donald Trump has put together a business advisory council that includes General Motors CEO Mary Barra, IBM CEO Ginny Rometty and a host of other US business leaders.
Trump said the "President’s Strategic and Policy Forum" will meet with him frequently and members will be called upon to provide opinions on the impact of government policies on the economy.
“This forum brings together CEOs and business leaders who know what it takes to create jobs and drive economic growth,” Trump said in a statement.Â “My administration is committed to drawing on private sector expertise and cutting the government red tape that is holding back our businesses from hiring, innovating, and expanding right here in America.”
GM’s Barra said in a statement that her participation on the panel “offers us a seat at an important table where we can contribute to a constructive and open dialogue about key policy issues.”
Rometty wrote Trump a three-page letter on Nov. 14 outlining ideas that she said “can advance a national agenda in a time of profound change.” She defended IBM’s operations overseas, and allowed that “in the years ahead, there will be issues on which we agree, and issues on which we do not.”
The first meeting of the Forum will be at The White House in February, shortly after Trump officially takes office as president in January.
The members of the groupÂ are:
- Stephen A. Schwarzman (Forum Chairman),Â Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder of Blackstone;
- Paul Atkins,Â CEO, Patomak Global Partners, LLC, Former Commissioner of the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- Mary Barra,Â Chairman and CEO, General Motors;
- Toby Cosgrove,Â CEO, Cleveland Clinic;
- Jamie Dimon,Â Chairman and CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co;
- Larry Fink,Â Chairman and CEO, BlackRock;
- Bob Iger,Â Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company;
- Rich Lesser,Â President and CEO, Boston Consulting Group;
- Doug McMillon,Â President and CEO, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.;
- Jim McNerney,Â Former Chairman, President, and CEO, Boeing;
- Adebayo “Bayo” Ogunlesi,Â Chairman and Managing Partner, Global Infrastructure Partners;
- Ginni Rometty,Â Chairman, President, and CEO, IBM;
- Kevin Warsh,Â Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institute, Former Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System;
- Mark Weinberger,Â Global Chairman and CEO, EY;
- Jack Welch,Â Former Chairman and CEO, General Electric;
- Daniel Yergin,Â Pulitzer Prize-winner, Vice Chairman of IHS Markit;